Two are Better than One

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work. If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to pick him up.

Every year we attend the BNP Paribas (formerly Pacific Life) Open in Indian Wells. This past year I stayed late one night to watch a doubles match featuring Mark Knowles, one of the world's greatest doubles players. There were very few fans at the match and I was able to literally sit on the front row, directly behind the baseline. I could hear nearly everything said between the players. I was expecting positive exchanges on both teams. I was unpleasantly surprised.

Knowles and his partner were playing a team from Australia. The Australian team won the first set and the match was on serve in the second. Despite being ahead, the Australian team was constantly bickering. Despite being behind Knowles and his partner were constantly encouraging one another. 

At 4 all in the second the Australian team had a rare break point opportunity, a virtual match point. If they could win that one point, they would serve for the match. Just before Knowles served, one of the Aussies turned to his partner who was receiving the serve and said in an agitated tone, "C'mon mate. We really need this one and you've been missing all night." And as they say, the rest is history! 

Having been publicly discouraged and having the already pressure filled moment intensified by his "partner", the receiver shanked the return. His partner angrily missed the next return. They lost the game. The bickering intensified. They lost their concentration, the next service, and the second set. The pattern continued in the match tie break and Knowles and his partner won the match. They won not because they were more talented or more athletic, but because they were better partners. Despite the score, they never discouraged one another and always encouraged one another. 

As I was just getting into tennis I asked God to send me a Christian doubles partner. The morning of my first competitive tennis match our captain assigned my partner. I was so nervous I could barely swing the racquet. My partner noticed how nervous I was and suggested we pray before we started the match. We walked to the back fence and he prayed for us. I had forgotten I had even asked the Lord for a Christian partner. Jesus reminded me as we prayed that He is life's ultimate doubles partner. He will always encourage you, especially in pressure situations. He will always pick you up when you fall. He will always cover for your mistakes; He hung on a cross for them. He always will and wants to carry the heaviest load. 

Prayer 
Jesus, I am asking You to be my doubles partner for life. In life and in tennis, please encourage me when I am discouraged and help me be a good encourager for my partners. Please help me with my pressure situations and help me to help my partners with theirs.